There are a wide variety of strategies that can be employed aid in the prevention of heel pain from Achilles tendinitis, minimizing daily and long-term stresses on the tendon.
Achilles tendinitis often results from overuse—that is to say, the tendon has to deal with repeated heavy forces over a period of time, not getting sufficient time to rest and heel. Prevention methods seek to both reduce stresses and allow for more recuperation time. These might include:
- Starting new activities (or increasing intensity of current activities) gradually, rather than all at once.
- Investing in good footwear that provides proper support and cushioning.
- Choosing running routes that are flatter and use softer terrain.
- Have days dedicated to low-impact exercise (like going for a bike ride), rather than always choosing high-impact exercises (like running or basketball).
- Visit Dr. Corey Fox in Massapequa, NY to see if additional treatments, such as physical therapy or custom orthotics, may be necessary to address underlying causes and stressors.
On that last point, you can request an appointment easily right from this website by clicking on our contact form and filling out the relevant information. You can also schedule the old fashioned way with our front office by dialing 516-541-9000.